Hospital Tour

At the break of dawn I got up and got ready to go to British Columbia’s oldest hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital. I took Translink as my commute, it was quite relaxing. Once I got off the skytrain I didn’t know which direction to walk in, so i asked the 24 hour newspaper guy to give me directions. So there I am walking in the core of downtown in the dark; I walked at least eight blocks and I started to wonder where this place is. Thankfully I found a sign that had the capital H and followed it to the hospital entrance. Once I entered the doors of the hospital with my fashionable scrubs on I heard the blow horn signalling me that this is the beginning of my journey as a nurse. There is no turning back. I walked down the hall with anxiety and uncertainty pulling me back out the door but had excitement and pure adrenalin pulling me further down the hall with greater force. So there I was with a nervous smirk on my face but I kept walking.

A piece of equipment I found very interesting was the internal tube system. How it works is a nurse sends a tube with certain medications, equipment or paperwork to a specific unit by punching in a code and the tube is suctioned to the unit. It reminded me of something in a scifi movie. It was so cool.

We went to so many different units and met a few nurses. One thing that stuck out to me was this one nurse was so mechanical by having to do so many things and then the next minute when he was with a patient he became human again. I've always heard nursing is a draining career but i finally saw it.

Overall, the hospital tour has opened my eyes to parts of the hospital I had never seen. Also it aided me in being able to connect and correlate what I learn in books and practical to the working field. Last but not least, the tour has given me the ability to become more self -aware and self knowledgeable of what I need to do personally at an emotional and physical level to be able to provide adequate care.

0 air fives:

Older Post Home