On my quest of finding a space for myself and my sister to reside I hit upon an interesting predicament. The “white voice” I’ve perfected over the telephone only seems to go so far before the color of my skin and gender begins to raise some pertinent questions to the owner of the house interested in leasing or renting the bottom half of their suites. And therein lies the problem. The search for a place is much more difficult because the glass ceiling that says I should still be living in Surrey exists. Its an unfriendly existence. I throw jagged rocks at it and persist in trying to decimate it with my ineffectual fists. The results are lengthy exaggerated attempts to belittle me and question me about my job, my volunteering and my life. I can guarantee rent every month, so why is there a problem? There seems to be little cooperation in that regard and all those preppy Yale towners who are “settling” for Main irritate my soul. They look as if they can afford it, but then again so do I. But the subtle stereotyping of the color of my skin belies any actual information. Because I exist as a black female (despite my professional sounding job title and persistent community involvement, which on a side note is as disgraceful as I am, noting the racialized and aboriginal girls it caters to) Might I add that the preppy yale towners who I should notably refer to as the white girls, think they are in the minority despite the fact that they overwhelming reside in the places where if wishes were reality I would be living. Not because of any preconceived notion that is the glass ceiling I should be reaching but because of its damned convenience to the places I work! So. Despite higher than average working environments, workaholic behavior patterns a sweet demeanour and friendliness towards neighbours, I am not a suitable candidate for a place that looks to be above my financial constrictions.

Life is a beautiful wondrous, extremely frusturating thing.

On a lighter note, a weekend away from the city. How great!

1 air fives:

trust me, the art of being unseen is a masterpiece. Only the best social artists can achieve such brilliance.

May 28, 2008 at 6:27 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home